While located in two different counties, the Simi Valley (a city) and the Conejo Valley (a region) often are looked at as one, especially to area residents.
Located just about 90 minutes northwest from downtown Los Angeles, the area offers those who live here the opportunity to enjoy the cultural and amusement venues in the City of Angeles, without the headache of having tolive with them.
The Conejo Valley is home to many high-tech companies, making it very attractive to a highly educated – and well-paid – workforce.
The median prices of homes were up 22 percent in spring 2013, compared to the same time period in 2012. With home sales prices currently above $600,000, the Conejo Valley is out of reach of many people.
Rent prices within the communities that make up the Conejo Valley are healthy, with the rental market exceedingly hot. The average rental price for a two-bedroom apartment in the Conejo Valley city of Thousand Oaks, for example, was $1,904.
As for the Simi Valley, rental prices for the city – while less than the average for the Conejo Valley – are still healthy: $1,585 for a two-bedroom unit.
Simi Valley is located in the northeastern portion of Ventura County, abutting Los Angeles County, making it a popular bedroom community for those who work in the San Fernando Valley, or even downtown Los Angeles.
The population of Simi Valley grew by 1.2 percent in the 14 months between April 2010 to July 2011, and is expected to grow: hence the hot rental market due to a) population growth and b) the increase in area home prices.
Some fun facts about Simi Valley and the Conejo Valley:
- Simi Valley was named the 5th best city for teleworking by Sperling’s Best Places
- The trial of the four LA police officers accused of beating Rodney King was held in Simi Valley.
- The city offers residents 20 city parks and large swaths of open spaces.
- The beloved television series M*A*S*H was filmed in the hills of Simi Valley. Little House on the Prairie and Gunsmoke also were filmed here.
- The Conejo Valley offers visitors and residents more than 120,000 acres of open space and green belt areas.
Sorry we are experiencing system issues. Please try again.